I’m not going to say this is the best Kale salad you will ever have, but its pretty good. I absolutely love eating healthy, I feel more energized and awake. (Not to mention my waist line loves it!) I’m making a conscious effort to eat healthier this year, so I have been doing lots of research on what proteins and nutrients my body needs. I want to make well rounded meals so my body will be good to go. I will create a nutrition label and list it below.
I love everything in this salad, but when making it, I was a little concerned that it wouldn’t all taste good together. I was completely wrong! Texture and taste are both so important to me, and this combo mixed so well.
This salad is super easy and only takes about 20ish minutes to make. The recipe I used serves 4, because of the chickpeas and quinoa it is very filling but doesn’t sit heavy in your stomach.
A few other things…. Don’t spill the Quinoa! (like I did) Before it’s cooked all of the little pieces are hard and roll EVERYWHERE! Second, this lasts about 3 days (maybe 4 days) in the fridge as left overs. The recipe includes Feta cheese, I didn’t end up using it for the glamour shots. (mainly because I forgot) It tastes delicious with or without it, so whatever your preference is but I am listing it as optional in the recipe. Lastly, if you don’t have kitchen scissors, get them! They are pretty affordable, I got mine at my local grocery store. I use them almost daily, they make cutting salads, meats, fruits (anything really) so much easier.
Scroll Down for the recipe and let me know in the comments if you tried this out!
Nutrient Packed Kale Salad Recipe
Here’s what you will need:
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 6 cups Chopped Kale (Remove Stems, about 6 avg. size kale leaves)
- 15 oz can Chickpeas (Rinse and Drain)
- 1 cup Blueberries
- 1 cup Feta (I suggest plain, optional)
- 1/2 cup Sliced Almonds
- 1 Avocado (Cubed)
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Lemon Juice
- 2 tbsp. Honey
- 1 1/2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Black Pepper to taste
- Put Quinoa in a pot with 2 cups of water, bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and stir occasionally until water is absorbed (about 15 min). Once this is done remove from heat and set aside.
- While quinoa is cooking, whisk together all dressing ingredients. Put chopped kale in a large salad bowl and pour dressing over kale.
- Once Quinoa is cool, add to kale, along with chickpeas, blueberries, feta, almonds, and avocado. Toss together and Serve!
I put the Nutrition of the Salad and the dressing separate in case you want to use a different dressing. Enjoy!
Nutrition of Salad without Dressing:
Nutrition of Salad Dressing:
*Nutrition data was compiled with the help of nutritiondata.self.com.